Jewelry News and Education RSS



Busting Jewelry Myths: “Diamonds Aren’t Rare”

A quick internet search will show you rants about how “diamonds aren’t rare.” "It’s all a conspiracy." "DeBeers controls the world’s diamond supply through a predatory international monopoly..." All of this is unfounded in the modern diamond economy. For 4 reasons: First...  Diamonds form 100 miles beneath the earth's surface, through a process of tremendous pressure and extreme heat, over billions of years. The stones are later pushed toward the surface of the earth through volcanic activity. And of all the diamonds that are pushed toward the surface of the earth, less than 20% of the diamonds mined worldwide are gem quality. (The other 80% are used for industrial purposes; saws, drills, etc.) And, of the 20% that are gem quality stones that go on...

Continue reading



Buying Fancy Colored Diamonds

Fancy colored diamonds exploded in popularity over the past few years thanks to celebrities wearing them in movies and in the tabloids. Yellows, pinks, browns, blues, greens, purples, and reds... But what is a fancy color diamond? A fancy colored diamond is a diamond that naturally contains impurities and structural defects. This doesn’t mean that there’s anything “wrong” with the diamond. (And in fact, natural fancy diamonds of certain qualities are often more rare and more valuable than some of the most beautiful flawless white diamonds.) It means that something happened in the natural formation process to make it different from the typical pure, white diamond. For example... Natural blue diamonds are created by the presence of the element Boron and natural...

Continue reading



The Truth About "Blood Diamonds"

“Blood diamonds,” or “war diamonds,” refer to diamonds that are mined in a war zone and sold to fund violent insurgent activities.  The awareness of “blood diamonds” sky-rocketed after the 2006 release of the movie “Blood Diamond” starring Leonardo DiCaprio.  This movie focused on “blood diamonds” being mined and sold during the civil war of Siearra Leone in the 1990’s. This film showed the horrors of this war in graphic detail.  Entire villages being destroyed in an afternoon.  Soldiers cutting off hands, mutilating women, and “recruiting” child soldiers into their ranks.  This was a terrible conflict, and conflicts like them continue in Africa to this day. BUT... What most people don’t realize is that when this movie was released in...

Continue reading



Guide to Classic Diamond Jewelry

They always seems to sneak up. No matter how hard you try to prepare.  It’s like you always need just a few more days to prepare... But if you have a birthday, anniversary, or holiday coming up: The one thing that shouldn’t be a complicated ordeal is picking out a gift that your spouse will love. With that in mind, I’ve created a quick jewelry shopping guide for you: The Fail-Proof, Guaranteed-To-Be-A-Hit, CLASSIC Gifts The first thing you’re going to notice about the items on this list... They’re all diamond jewelry.  And there’s a good reason for that. I’ve been in the jewelry business for over 30 years and, in all my experience, diamond jewelry has been, and is still, first-choice for most women. “Diamonds...

Continue reading



How to Accessorize with Fine Jewelry

Fashion experts who know how to accessorize with fine jewelry know: Jewelry is probably the most overlooked part of fashion. Because most people think of fashion as just clothing, but jewelry can make-or-break an outfit. Carefully chosen jewelry is the finishing touch that makes all the difference. On that note, here are a few tips for picking out jewelry to complete any look: Earrings There are 3 main categories of earrings. Hoops, studs, and drop (or dangle).  Hoops are typically a better match for a more casual look, though they can sometimes be worn with more formal attire (especially if they have diamonds). Drop, or dangle, earrings are more artistic and expressive. They should be worn to draw compliments, at a...

Continue reading